Founded in 1974, EMBL is Europe’s flagship laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation with more than 80 independent research groups covering the spectrum of molecular biology.
EMBL was set up in order to promote molecular biology across Europe, and to create a centre of excellence for Europe's leading young molecular biologists. To accomplish this, EMBL has pursued five major missions:
• To perform fundamental research in molecular biology
• To offer vital services to scientists in the member states and the world
• To train scientists, students, and visitors at all levels
• To actively engage in technology transfer and industry relations
• To coordinate and integrate European life science research