Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) & Me
PMDD & Me was founded by Alice and Sarah Girling in 2018. Alice is a midwife who also suffered from PMDD for over 20 years. Despite having professional awareness of menstrual health, Alice struggled to access the best care for the management of her own PMDD.
After several years of treatment, she took the difficult decision to have a hysterectomy and bilateral oophorectomy in 2016, followed by extensive Dialectical Behaviour Therapy to overcome the longer lasting psychological effects of her condition.
Alice and Sarah have a strong belief in the importance of individuals being able to seek out the right healthcare appropriate to their specific needs and so PMDD & Me was born.
To empower advocacy in menstrual health.
PMDD & Me believes in the universal human right to health and health care that is accessible, responsive, timely, safe, of high-quality and patient-centred.
Based on these values PMDD & Me seeks to:
• Provide educational opportunities based on current best evidence and standards to inform those affected by pre-menstrual disorders of their treatment and therapy options
• Empower those affected by pre-menstrual disorders in feeling able to access the appropriate healthcare and take an active role in their care pathway
• Enable women and those assigned female at birth (AFAB) to feel comfortable and confident in discussing their menstrual health and well-being
• Campaign for public figures and influencers to declare their qualifications and/or conflicts of interest when providing menstrual health and well-being advice
• Campaign for all NHS Trusts to provide multidisciplinary menstrual health clinics that include the provision for treatment of premenstrual disorders