Prato, Tuscany, Italy
The European Peptide Society was founded in 1989, primarily in order to ensure that the valuable but informal European Peptide Symposia should be continued on a sound basis. In March 2012, a Scientific Society termed European Peptide Society (also known as EPS) was constituted (based in Prato, Via Francesco Ferrucci n.203 / C). According to the EPS Statutes, the European Peptide Society is a non-political and non-profit organization with the objective of coordinating, promoting and representing to other similar entities and / or institutional organisms at the international level, in order to promote the advancement of research and training in the peptide sciences in Europe and in other extra-European countries.
Its most important activity is the organisation in Europe of the biennial international symposium which regularly attracts about 1000 participants from all over the world. The Proceedings are published biennially. Although the early symposia (from 1958 onwards) were necessarily devoted largely to the development of chemical methods for the synthesis of peptides, the programmes now extend to the biology of peptides, and include, for example, structure-activity relationships, conformational studies, peptide vaccines, and the immunology of peptides.