Introduction to Musculoskeletal Ultrasound: Upper and Lower Extremities - Online Course is organized by Gulfcoast Ultrasound Institute (GCUS) Inc..
Date of Original Release: 10/7/2019
Reviewed for content accuracy: 10/7/2022
This edition valid for credit through: 10/7/2025
Introduction to Musculoskeletal Ultrasound: Upper and Lower Extremities Online Course is designed to increase knowledge and competence in order to better perform and/or interpret upper and lower extremity musculoskeletal ultrasound. This course is made up of twelve (12) modules, online video lectures, case presentations, and online interactive post-module exams. Enrollment is valid for 12 months (365 days) and begins the moment the participant is enrolled. Extend your online course access another 3 months with the addition of an onsite hands-on workshop or registration for a regularly scheduled GCUS scan workshop.
•Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Imaging Fundamentals and Tissue Characterization
• Ultrasound Evaluation of the Shoulder
• Ultrasound Evaluation of Shoulder Pathology
• Ultrasound Evaluation of the Normal Elbow
• Ultrasound Evaluation of Elbow Pathology
• Ultrasound Evaluation of the Hand and Wrist
• Ultrasound Evaluation of Hand/Wrist Pathology
• Ultrasound Evaluation of the Knee
• Ultrasound Evaluation of Knee Pathology
• Ultrasound Evaluation of the Foot & Ankle Normal and Pathology
• Ultrasound Evaluation of the Hip
• Ultrasound-Guided Injection Techniques in Musculoskeletal Medicine.
• Increase the participant’s knowledge to better perform and/or interpret MSK ultrasound examinations.
• List the indications, benefits, and limitations of MSK ultrasound for sports medicine injuries, physical medicine & rehabilitation, and rheumatology applications.
• Demonstrate proper transducer manipulation and system optimization to produce diagnostic images.
• Demonstrate scanning protocols for performing shoulder, elbow, wrist/hand, knee, ankle/foot & hip ultrasound examinations.
• Identify normal anatomy during musculoskeletal ultrasound imaging.
• Identify the sonographic appearance of commonly seen pathology of the shoulder, knee, elbow, wrist/ hand, ankle and foot, and hip.
• Demonstrate the use of MSK sonography for diagnosis and ultrasound-guided interventions and describe “in-plane” and “out of plane” injection/aspiration techniques.
• Increase confidence to incorporate protocols, techniques & interpretation criteria to improve diagnostic/treatment accuracy.