• The purpose is the discovery, communication and preservation of knowledge.
• In teaching, research and scholarship, They are committed to creativity, innovation and excellence.
• valuing integrity, quality, inclusiveness and teamwork in everything we do.
• inspiring critical thinking, personal growth and a passion for lifelong learning.
• serving the social, cultural and economic needs of our community and our society.
• Founded in 1887 in Toronto through a bequest from the estate of Senator William McMaster, a member of the first senate after Confederation and founding president of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.
• Maroon and grey were adopted as the official colours in 1912.
• Relocated from Toronto to Hamilton in 1930.
A medical-doctoral, research-intensive university, McMaster is dedicated to teaching, learning and service. In the 1960s, we pioneered the problem-based approach to learning that came to be known around the world as "the McMaster model".