CME : 1
Legal Advisor: Understanding Disclosure, Apology and Offer is organized by Massachusetts Medical Society (MMS).
Release Date: Jun 15, 2017
Expiration Date: Jun 15, 2020
The Massachusetts Medical Society designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Course Overview :
Physicians are often hesitant to apologize, or disclose certain mistakes to their patients because they are afraid that those statements will be used against them in legal proceedings.
They should be transparent and empathetic with patients when there is an unintended consequence resulting from a mistake, but that rarely is the case. They do not know what parts of their conversations will be admitted in legal proceedings, and need to know how to approach situations where there has been an unfortunate outcome.
Physicians may still hesitate to apologize for medical complications resulting from a mistake, but the course includes language directly from the Massachusetts statute, which will help them to overcome their fear of litigation. from the Massachusetts statute, which will help them to overcome their fear of litigation.
Learning Objectives :
• Examine the requirements of health care providers under Disclosure, Apology & Offer in Massachusetts.
• Restate the exceptions under Massachusetts General Law c. 233 §79L.
• Explain the protections of health care providers under Disclosure, Apology & Offer in Massachusetts.
• Understand the purpose of the Act Improving the Quality of Health Care and Reducing Costs through Increased Transparency, Efficiency and Innovation
Additional details will be posted as soon as they are available.
Risk Management and Medical Negligence
Browse Online CME / CE Conferences by Specialty View All
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Emergency Medicine
- Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes
- Healthcare Management
- Immunology and Microbiology
- Infectious Disease
- Medical Education
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Pain Management
- Pharmacy and Medicine
- Primary Care
- Pulmonary Medicine