Australian Institute of Ultrasound (AIU)
The AIU was established in 1995 and is known internationally as the original and the best ultrasound training provider in Australasia. This is evident by our strong market domination, diverse range of education courses and large network of volunteer patients who allow essential hands on training aimed at simulating real life scanning scenarios which can be applied to the relevant clinical context.
The AIU is proud of its comprehensive, innovative and strategic approach to the provision of education and training. Education and training in health services is particularly important in the context of population ageing, increasing chronic disease, concerns about patient safety, equity and increasing consumer involvement. This diverse context is further challenged by technological developments, changing models of care and the emphasis on translating research and evidence into healthcare.
The core components of our comprehensive strategy are :
• Developing and maintaining ultrasound workforce skills and competencies
• A passionate focus on maximising quality patient outcomes and patient-centred education
• Promoting excellence and innovation in educational programs and services
• Promoting organisational and partnership support for evidence based education
Our Core Purpose and Motivation:
Our core purpose is to help those in the health care profession to improve patient care and outcomes. We do this by focussing on ultrasound education and training. The essential question that motivates us every day is:
“How can we better educate and train ultrasound users:
• To acquire skills in optimising and documenting images;
• To interpret images for clinical reasoning;
• To integrate information for patient management.