When Mental Illness Reigns - Providing Effective Care is organized by National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) and will be held from Apr 30, 2017 - Apr 30, 2020.
CE/CME Credit Hours:
• Nurse: 1.0 Contact Hours
• Social Worker: 1.0 Contact Hours
• Physician: 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
This course was originally presented at NHPCO, AAHPM and HPNA’s 2015 Virtual Conference entitled Clinical Advances in the Art and Science of Care.
Psychiatric disorders like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, PTSD, depression, personality disorders and behavioral disturbances of dementia co-exist with life limiting illnesses, and symptoms exacerbate with physical, psychological, social and spiritual pain. This session will highlight common psychiatric disorders’ (in both patients and caregivers) impact on symptom presentation and care delivery, and provide recommendations on communication strategies, behavioral and environmental interventions, and medication algorithms to achieve optimal symptom management.
• Discuss the symptoms of psychiatric illnesses, and their impact on end of life care
• Identify and implement tailored psychosocial and medication treatments to address psychiatric symptoms impacting end of life
• Utilize communication strategies to improve end of life care for patients and/or families with psychiatric illnesses.
Additional details will be posted as soon as they are available.