CME : 1
Minding our C's and Q: Compassion + Communication = Quality Care with Elizabeth Clark, PhD, MPH, ACSW is organized by National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) and will be held from Apr 12, 2017 - Feb 26, 2020. This CME Conference has been approved for a maximum of 1.0 Contact Hours.
No matter how committed we are to our work in hospice palliative care, witnessing suffering is difficult. We know that compassion and kindness are amplified by good communication, yet many of us feel inadequate at the most critical times when providing end-of-life and bereavement care.
In our training, we are taught that there are no magic phrases to lessen the impact of loss, but we may not always recognize the power our words can have and the legacy they can leave. The importance of maintaining hope across the loss and grief continuum may also be insufficiently explored by professional caregivers.
This plenary will cover several critical factors that enhance communication with patients, their caregivers and our professional teams. It will provide strategies for better assessing family dynamics, the level of family burnout and family hope constellations. It will also explore ways in which good communication can help avoid the pitfalls that lead to professional burnout and a loss of professional hope.
• Explore the power of words and the legacy they may leave
• Recognize the importance of assessing family dynamics including cultural variations, family hope and family burnout
• Investigate our own style of hoping and how it influences our professional caregiving and communication
• Apply communication strategies that create better quality care for patients, caregivers and co-workers
Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Counselor
Browse Online CME / CE Conferences by Specialty View All
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Emergency Medicine
- Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes
- Healthcare Management
- Immunology and Microbiology
- Infectious Disease
- Medical Education
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Pain Management
- Pharmacy and Medicine
- Primary Care
- Pulmonary Medicine