HMX Genetics is organized by Harvard Medical School (HMS) and will be held from Aug 28 - Nov 09, 2018.
Who should take HMX courses?
HMX courses are suitable for anyone interested in medicine or a career in healthcare:
• College students interested in medicine or anyone who is considering applying to medical school
• Individuals interested in pursuing training for other health care careers—including PA programs, nursing programs, pharmacy programs and programs for other related healthcare professions—who want to raise their understanding to the next level
• High school students who are interested in medicine and want to challenge themselves
• Professionals looking to improve knowledge for work on health care applications, projects, and research
• Curious learners with sufficient prerequisites (biology, chemistry, physics) who want to learn more
Course Description :
Learn foundational concepts in genetics and gain new insight into the rapidly evolving field of genomics. This course spans the field from basic to advanced genetics. Lessons include an Overview of Genetics, The Central Dogma and Genetic Variation, Mendelian Inheritance of Disease, Identifying Mendelian Disease Genes, Chromosomal Aberrations, The Genetics of Cancer, Common Complex Traits, Human Population Genetics, Beyond the Genome Sequence, and Genetics and Precision Medicine. Most conditions have some genetic basis, and a scientific revolution enabled by genomic technologies is changing the way that many diseases are diagnosed and treated as well as providing insight into health, risk factors, and disease prevention. A solid understanding of genetics has never been more important for the practice of medicine.
The way we diagnose and treat diseases is changing, with new technologies enabled by a deeper understanding of the human genome and its relationship to health and disease. In HMX Genetics, you’ll get an overview of fundamental concepts behind the evolving fields of human genetics, genomics, and precision medicine.
Additional details will be posted as soon as they are available.