CME : 2
Healthy Pregnancy: A Patient-Centered Approach to Counseling and Behavioral Change is organized by Dental Learning Systems, LLC and will be held from May 01, 2018 - May 31, 2021. This CME Conference has been approved for a maximum of 2.0 Credits.
Many current myths and outdated practices exist regarding dental care for pregnant women. Additionally, many medical care providers fail to check pregnant patients for dental problems and refer them for dental care. Therefore, it is critical that dental healthcare providers and their medical colleagues are well-informed of the risks and benefits of dental care throughout pregnancy and are equipped with the tools to discuss the importance of dental health with patients. Patient-centered interventions, such as motivational interviewing (MI), are effective tools to alter patient behaviors and fully engage patients as active participants in their care. This review provides a framework of patient-centered interventions to improve patient involvement in their oral and overall well-being, offering methods and examples of a patient-centered approach, based on the fundamentals of MI.
• Recognize the need to overcome misunderstandings about the safety and provision of dental care during a healthy pregnancy
• Discuss limitations of traditional clinician-driven dental health education and the benefits of a patient-centered approach to behavior change
• Review evidence for the effectiveness of motivational interviewing (MI) to gain positive health outcomes
• Describe tools that enable dental professionals to apply the principles of MI in a clinical setting among pregnant patients
Additional details will be posted as soon as they are available.
Obstetrics and Gynecology, Midwifery
CME 1.25 +4
Browse by Specialty (Online CME/CE Only) View All
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Emergency Medicine
- Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes
- Healthcare Management
- Immunology and Microbiology
- Infectious Disease
- Medical Education
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Pain Management
- Pharmacy and Medicine
- Primary Care
- Pulmonary Medicine