Dental Trauma In Pediatric Dentistry: Epidemiology of Dental Trauma & Initial Assessment and Diagnosis is organized by UT Health San Antonio.
Original Date: 02/27/2013
Review Date: 09/01/2017
Expiration Date: 08/31/2020
This section is designed to discuss a systematic approach for evaluating a patient who presents with dental trauma. Trauma guidelines will be reviewed including classifications, diagnosis and treatment planning. Statistics including prevalence and incidence of dental trauma as well as other general considerations are presented. The degree of injury and hot to identify abnormal behavior and other patient indications are discussed. Neurological status evaluation is also addressed; in addition to emergency assessment of a patient with dental trauma. Extra-oral evaluation leading to proper diagnosis will be presented. Classification systems will also be discussed. There will be a test at the end of this course to verify successful completion.
After completing this course the participant should be able to:
• Understand current trauma guidelines
• Utilize a systematic approach for evaluating a patient with dental trauma
• Manage the trauma assessing neurological symptoms as well as unusual clinical signs.
• Understand statistical information about prevalence, incidence and distribution of dental injuries
• Become familiar with dental trauma classification systems.
Additional details will be posted as soon as information is available.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Pediatric Dentistry, Epidemiology