Contact Hours : 1
Cannabinoids and the Adolescent Brain is organized by College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists (CPNP).
Activity Dates: 06/01/2017 - 04/25/2020
This course is designed for pharmacists, nurse practitioners or other healthcare professionals involved in the comprehensive medication management of psychiatric and/or neurological patients.
ACPE Contact Hours:
Cannabinoid receptors are widely distributed throughout the brain (e.g., hippocampus, prefrontal cortex, cerebellum) and play an important role in neurotransmitter release across neural systems. It has been suggested that these receptors increase during adolescence, have a role in genetic expression of neural development, and that alteration of the endocannabinoid system during adolescence may result in a cascade of neurochemical and neurostructural aberrations leading to poorer cognition and emotional outcomes in adulthood. With the prevalence of cannabis use in youth, and increasing numbers of youth living in states with legalized medical or recreational use, concerns are raised as to the long term effects of cannabinoids on brain development and function. This program will educate the pharmacist dealing with these important issues of neurodevelopment by reviewing the literature to date related to marijuana use in adolescents and the young population and discussing the deleterious effects marijuana may have on the development of the adolescent brain.
• Review the rates of marijuana use and marijuana use disorders, particularly with focus on the adolescent population.
• Describe and understand brain structure and function affected by the illicit use of marijuana among adolescents.
• Summarize negative outcomes of marijuana use including poor cognition, behavior, academic and social functioning and explain why the adolescent population still developing neural connections, is particularly susceptible to poor long term outcomes.
• Design a plan for the psychiatric pharmacist’s role in the education and treatment of marijuana use disorders and how better to identify and comprehensively manage teens using marijuana.
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Contact Hours 1
- 180 Minutes
Browse by Specialty (Online CME/CE Only) View All
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Emergency Medicine
- Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes
- Healthcare Management
- Immunology and Microbiology
- Infectious Disease
- Medical Education
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Pain Management
- Pharmacy and Medicine
- Primary Care
- Pulmonary Medicine