Sexual Assault Evidence Collection (SANE) Education for Texas Nurses is organized by Pedagogy Education - Online Continuing Nurse Education. This online continuing nurse education course has been approved for 2 CNE Contact Hours.
Emergency room nurses are the most common nurses that will care for a sexual assault survivor in the time period most recently following the assault. It is imperative that sexual assault victims have access to and receive patient-centered and trauma-informed care that addresses their medical, legal, and psychosocial needs. The purpose of this course is to educate Texas nurses on their role in caring for victims of sexual assault, based on the current best practices as put forth by the Texas Evidence Collection Protocol.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
• Recite the proper terms used in a forensic medical exam.
• State the role(s) of nurses caring for sexual assault victims.
• Define informed consent and how to obtain it in cases of child or non-English speaking victims.
• Identify ways to provide patient-centered care in their practice.
• Differentiate reporting vs non-reporting cases.
• Discuss pregnancy, HIV, and STD prevention options following sexual assault.