Controlled Substance Prescriptions in Dentistry is organized by AchieveCE.
The following course is designed to help dental professionals understand their role in fighting the current opioid crisis as well as provide best practices that dentists can use when prescribing pain medications to their patients.
At the conclusion of this continuing education activity, the participant will be able to:
• Describe the origins and scope of the current opioid crisis in the United States
• Identify current trends in opioid prescribing in the dental profession
• Identify the various types of opioid medications and their mechanisms of action
• Describe how opioids affect the body and the brain
• Describe the most common pain medications used in dentistry
• Distinguish between opioid tolerance, dependence, and addiction
• Describe the symptoms of opioid withdrawal
• Distinguish between opioid agonists, agonist-antagonists, and antagonists
• Identify the most common sources of opioid misuse and diversion.
• Describe steps that dentists can take to ensure the safe handling, storage, and prescription of opioid medications
• Describe the importance of screening for substance disorders in dental practice
• Describe the function and impact of prescription drug monitoring programs in curbing opioid misuse and diversion
• Outline the American Dental Association’s stance on the use of opioids in the treatment of dental pain
Refunds are available if you cancel within 14 days of order confirmation and haven't started any courses. Note that online transaction charges will be deducted. No refund if courses are started during the cancellation period