CE Credits : 1
Quality Resource Guide: Management of the Oral Complications Associated with Cancer Therapy (2nd Edition) is organized by MetLife.
Originally published: December 2013.
Updated and revised: December 2016.
Expiration date: December 2019.
MetLife designates this activity for 1.0 continuing education credits for the review of this Quality Resource Guide and successful completion of the post test.
Therapy to manage a patient with cancer is multidisciplinary and many times requires careful management of oral sequelae. Oral management of the patient with cancer can be divided into 3 stages: 1) oral assessment and therapy prior to initiation of cancer therapy, 2) oral supportive care during cancer therapy, and 3) oral care following completion of cancer therapy. This Quality Resource Guide (QRG) reviews the commonly encountered adverse effects associated with cancer therapy and the three stages of oral care and support for patients with cancer. The author carefully outlines management guidelines and adjunctive considerations that may be used by the oral health care provider to manage the oral cavity before, during and after cancer therapy. A variety of quick-reference tables will assist the dental clinician to review clinical protocols and agents that may be helpful for his/her patients. This QRG will serve as an important resource for the dentist who encounters a patient with cancer and will allow them to function as an important member of the therapy team.
Following this unit of instruction, the learner should be able to:
• Understand basic therapies utilized to manage oral cavity and oropharyngeal carcinoma.
• Recognize the potential major acute and chronic oral complications associated with cancer therapy.
• Understand the importance of providing appropriate dental therapy prior to initiation of cancer therapy.
• Understand oral supportive care interventions provided during cancer therapy.
• Understand the need to implement appropriate post-cancer therapy strategies to maintain oral health.
Additional details will be posted as soon as they are available.
Otorhinolaryngology, Oncology, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Browse Online CME / CE Conferences by Specialty View All
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Emergency Medicine
- Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes
- Healthcare Management
- Immunology and Microbiology
- Infectious Disease
- Medical Education
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Pain Management
- Pharmacy and Medicine
- Primary Care
- Pulmonary Medicine