Hoarding: Assessment and intervention for occupational therapists (Apr 17, 2020)
Hoarding: Assessment and intervention for occupational therapists is organized by Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT) / Association canadienne des ergotherapeutes (ACE) and will be held on Apr 17, 2020 at Courtyard by Marriott Halifax Dartmouth, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Occupational therapists, occupational therapist assistants (OTAs), students in occupational therapy and OTA/PTA programs, who wish to improve their understanding of when and how to address hoarding behaviours that contribute to occupational performance issues. Social workers, psychologists and other frontline workers in housing, mental health, justice and social services are also welcome to attend.
Hoarding behaviours can cause distress, impairment of function and serious adverse outcomes such as unsafe living conditions and homelessness. This one-day workshop is designed to equip occupational therapists with the understanding of when and how to address hoarding behaviours that contribute to occupational performance issues. You will be provided with a workbook that summarizes learnings and includes assessment tools.
The first part of the workshop will focus on reviewing evidence-based information on hoarding, including:
• an introduction to hoarding disorder, hoarding behaviours and neglect;
• a review of theoretical models used to understand hoarding; and
• the accepted approach for assessment and intervention of hoarding disorder.
Group discussion regarding the application of an occupational lens to augment the understanding, assessment and intervention process will follow.
In the second half of the workshop, you will rotate through three small group activities to practice:
• identifying an appropriate plan for occupational therapy involvement using case examples to address hoarding behaviour and related occupational performance issues;
• conducting assessment related to hoarding behaviour; and
• delivering intervention to address hoarding behaviour.
The workshop will conclude by identifying practical considerations, opportunities and challenges related to real-world application of workshop material to your occupational therapy practice.
Areas of practice:
Mental health, General physical health, Health promotion and wellness
By the end of this workshop, you will:
• Understand hoarding and recognize hoarding behaviours (vs. neglect, collecting).
• Be able to use assessment tools to measure hoarding, appreciate contributing factors to the behaviour, and monitor impact on function, safety and tenancy.
• Be able to explain standard practice for intervention to address hoarding behaviours and how to minimize or avoid causing harm.
• Be able to augment this standard practice using occupational lens.
• Be able to take the next steps in addressing hoarding behaviours with direct intervention and consultation with others (professionals, landlords, family) in your occupational therapy practice.
|Contact No. :||1-800-434-2268 ext. 222
|Registration Type||Last Date||Price|
|Non member - Early Fee||15 Jan,2020||USD 356.25|
|CAOT Member and Associates - Early Fee||15 Jan,2020||USD 237.50|
|CAOT Student Associates and Retired Members - Early Fee||15 Jan,2020||USD 212.50|