Palliative Interdisciplinary Care Conference is organized by New York University (NYU) School of Medicine and will be held on Apr 24. 2018 at NYU Langone Medical Center, New York, United States of America.
The target audience for this medical event is Physicians, advanced practice providers, nurses, social workers, and other allied health professionals.
Conference Description :
This conference is designed for healthcare professionals who are looking to gain an interdisciplinary understanding of how to address the needs of palliative care patients. This year's conference will cover communication as it applies to discussing goals of care, advanced directives, spirituality, child life, and delirium and depression. In addition, there will be two breakout sessions where providers can choose from hospice, art therapy, communication skill building 'boot camp', pain management, non-cancer symptom management, and self-care.
Conference Objectives are :
After participating in this activity, clinicians should be able to:
• Describe new advances in communication in palliative care
• Describe effective ways to prevent or minimize the impact that delirium has on our patients
• Explore the experience that children and families have when a close family member is dying and identify techniques that will enhance our sensitivity to patients spirituality and the effect it has on their communication needs
• Discuss the best practices when communicating with patients about their advance care preferences and goals of care
• Explain the common mistakes healthcare providers often make when utilizing translators
• Employ effective communication strategies when assessing pain and identify how to treat pruritis and other common symptoms of kidney disease
• Discuss the role art therapy plays in helping people process their feelings surrounding loss
• Demonstrate the use of basic communication principles in palliative care settings
• Describe steps in building skills in resilience and how resilience can help us confront moral distress
• Describe what hospice is and discuss best practices in introducing hospice to patients and families
Additional details will be posted as soon as they are available.