Connecting the Dots Between Medically Complex to Functionally Competent: NDT Course About Infants
Connecting the Dots Between Medically Complex to Functionally Competent: NDT Course About Infants is organized by Neuro-Developmental Treatment Association (NDTA) and will be held during Mar 16 - 17, 2018 at Nemours Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Delaware, United States of America.
The target audience for this medical event is PTs, OTs, SLPs, and assistants. This CME Conference has been approved for a maximum of 13.00 Continuing Education Hours.
Course Description :
This 2-day course is designed to enhance critical thinking skills necessary to improve function in medically complex infants and toddlers. The course will cover the current neuroscience basis for NDT treatment in pediatrics. It will contrast the infant facing complex medical challenges to typically developing infants with emphasis on enabling functional mobility and communication in the medically complex infant and toddler. Treatment strategies will be taught to optimize strengths and minimize barriers using treatment demonstrations and practical lab experience with peers and therapy dolls.
Course Objectives are :
• The current neuroscience basis for NDT practice model.
• Compare and contrast typical acquisition of skill to that of infants and toddlers facing multiple physiological, physical, and sensory challenges.
• Identify the essential postural, neuromuscular, musculoskeletal, and sensory/perceptual elements necessary to gain postural control, stability, and mobility for function.
• Identify the critical elements of a task necessary for improving function in infants and toddlers who are medically complex and who have developmental and/or neuromuscular challenges.
• Prioritize treatment strategies towards an effective and efficient sequence towards a functional outcome.
• Facilitate movement transitions appropriate for the infant/toddler population on another adult and on a doll in lab.
• Promote carry-over in the home environment via daily activities.
. Additional details will be posted as soon as they are available.